Thursday, October 27, 2011

Patience

Ever heard the saying, "patience is a virtue"? Patience, or lack there of, is something that I struggle with daily but am determined to overcome. I lack patience in dealing with my children most often. Occasionally with my husband, okay, maybe a little more than occasionally..........

My daughter, in particular, does a great job of testing my patience. God gives me do-overs everyday with her and I continue to get these because I continue to fail them. One of these days though, I will prevail! I am tested in the small things such as telling my children to do something, they don't listen, so I tell them again and again. So, on the third attempt my voice gets louder so my children are slightly unnerved and decide to do what they were told. My son hates the loud voice (aka ~ yelling) so he will typically do whatever he was told. My daughter on the other hand is the stubborn duplicate of her mother and is determined to have it her way, regardless of the consequences. And, she's cute while being stubborn. Bad mix!

Fortunately, I find comfort in knowing that God answers my prayers as well as giving me the opportunity to eventually get it right (do-overs). When I seek answers from Him, I find them, and when I pray for strength and patience, He grants. Not always in my time, but in the timing that will make the most impact for all involved. Below are some of the scriptures that can be applied to our everyday lives regarding patience.

Proverbs 25:15 Through patience a ruler can be persuaded and a gentle tongue can break a bone~
This one is REALLY important; I often think that my kids aren't listening because they can't hear me. Thus the yelling! But, the yelling isn't kind and isn't how I should respond. Being patient, calm, and gentle, my kids always respond better. And as my husband has so gently pointed out many times, they can hear me! They hear everything.......

James 1:2-4 Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything~
Another HUGE area that I struggle with is direction. What is God's direction/path/vision for me. I pray about this daily and often wonder if I can hear what He is saying, clearly? I know that He has big plans for me and my family. But, what if? What if this, what if that, what if, what if, what if? Because I often lack patience, I expect to hear answers quickly. But I must have patience in this aspect of life also and not doubt that He is constantly listening and answering. The doubts come from the enemy and he is constantly there to deceive us from the truth and from God's word. This deception leads to doubt and questioning which eventually tests our faith. This scripture provides strength in trials, in the midst of doubt, and to the unanswered questions. I will take joy in the midst of these trials and will refine and mature my faith while patiently awaiting His response instead of questioning if and when. I will persevere and become a New Creation in Him....

No comments:

Post a Comment